Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Yesterday in a small town court house in Sullivan county New…

Customer Question
Yesterday in a small...

Yesterday in a small town court house in Sullivan county New York an eviction was granted but two judges sat on the case at the same time. I live in this house for ten years and never had a hearing outside of this one. I have 60 days to leave and the lawyer did not defend me I felt properly. I want to appeal the eviction, can I?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York State in lumberling Township in Clen spey Sullivan County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet, the case was heard last night yesterday at 7pm and the lawyer was not given the court files only the day before the hearing and did not even have a chance to study them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I would like to can I appeal this eviction and the opposing attorney said I would not be able to buy the house if I came up with the money. Am I allow too?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/27/2017
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.Yes, you can appeal the eviction. You have 30 days to do so. In order to appeal, you should visit the court clerk and ask for a notice of appeal form.As for purchasing the property, you can only force that if you have a contract with the owner in which the owner has a contractual obligation to sell you the property. If you have that, then you can indeed force a sale of the property. If the owner will not do so voluntarily, then you can sue the owner for breach of contract and specific performance.Does that answer your question(s)?  Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.  Also,  please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars  (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!).  Thank you.  :)
I also asked whether it was acceptable that two judges decided my case, one wanted to give me only ten days to leave and the other decided to give me 60 days, aren't I allow 90 days?
Hi again.What is the basis of the eviction? That could alter how long you have before you must leave.
As for the fact that 2 judges heard the case, that is fine. No rule was broken.
foreclosure proceeding's, also, I was not privy or giving any notice's at that time or participated and, long after statue of limitation after 6 years and I submitted a motion stating the statue of limitation and the judge ignored it. And allow the foreclosure. This is a very small town and every knows one another and it has been an uphill battle from the start and I am a single senior female. I've live here in Sullivan County for 10 years and was a predatory lending victim.
Hello again.Unfortunately, if you were the previous homeowner, then you are not given 90 days to vacate the property after a foreclosure. That 90 day time frame is only given to a bona fide tenant.With regard to the judge ignoring the statute of limitations, that would certainly be something that you can appeal.I hope that helps.  Please let me know if you need further clarification, and  please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars  (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!).  Thank you.  :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.