Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

A minister sold an RV to me that was parked at his church…

Customer Question
A minister sold an...

A minister sold an RV to me that was parked at his church that blew up when started. I have put over $1000 in bad mechanics and have not enough money to completely rebuild it (yes he said it ran.) I have been staying there and have offered to pay utilities or rent but he insisted not. I am not of their faith and he wants me to leave but I have no where to tow it by the time he has requested I go. What are my rights, especially regarding the time he must give me to evict me. Can he turn off the utilities? I asked if he could introduce me to local mechanic ministries (they have them for single moms but I don't have a child) but he has refused. He even had promised to fix a leak (when selling he said he had sealed the roof.) When he did not his wife lent a ladder which was not tall enough for me to see over. In climbing down, I fell upon an iron wagon wheel they had in their parking lot and hurt myself terribly. I was supposed to only stay a couple weeks to be taught how to use things, etc. after the accident and engine blow up, I can not get together enough to leave yet. This has ruined me financially and physically. I need to know my rights to try to get things together. PS. Am I in trouble legally because, when he gave me the title, it was not in his name?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Anything you want to know? They want me out Monday. They threaten to tow and tell me later where they put it. My stuff is in there. I am afraid to leave. Came with a Deacon 2 weeks ago but I have not found an answer yet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/23/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

The RV is on the side lot of the church toward the back far from the front. The pastor had lived in it for 7 months before finding his home in the area. The church found no problem with it then. It causes no unsightliness or other problems. I want out. I feel very cheated and harmed by my association with this man. Due to illness and later lack of funds, I just haven't been able to find a place to put it. (No RV lot wants an non-working RV pulled in.) He will not reimburse me (though I wanted it) nor will he help me get the thing moved.
Library closing. Can I reach you tomorrow?

No problem.

Where is my response?

I'm typing it up as we speak.

As far as the RV not working itself, this appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

My question was, can he tow me away or does he have to go through an eviction process. Yes he "stuck me" but I could end up going for groceries and my residence gone if I can't get an answer and stop him!
This answer should have been the main part of your reply.

I understand. Yes, he would have to go through the eviction process if he agreed to let you stay on the property. T his means that he would have to give you at least 30 days notice before he could kick you out of the building.

I understand you believe it should have been the main part of my reply, but please understanding that we're trying to communicate in writing and it may take a moment or two to try to fully understand your situation and your specific question. Did you have any other questions for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer