Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Story short, I accidentily signed a leasing agreement

Customer Question
Long story short, I...

Long story short, I accidentily signed a leasing agreement without reading it in a state that I haven't been to in 3 years. I begged and pleaded with management as soon as I signed it to terminate the lease since I have never even been inside the property or the STATE it resides in. They told me it was not their problem and are now charging me almost $11,000 for a full years lease. I just turned 20 years old and no one I know has that kind of money. I know what will happen to my credit if this goes to collection and they aren't offering me a payment plan. I'm very scared and don't know what to do. I don't see any way out of this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Arizona. I live in Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I'm not sure. I received a letter in the mail stating: "You have indicated to us that you do not plan to take posession of your assigned apartment space at University House Tempe for the 2017-18 term, nor have you made payment arrangements under your agreement. Based on your abandonment, all installments are being accelerated and your balance is $10,862.45"

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not sure if I should sue them, or if it will cost me more money to do so. I can't sue them for being rude and not helping me since I technically did sign their lease, and I know it's my fault I didn't read it over. I just want to know what my options are since I don't have anywhere near that kind of money

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/22/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 11 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

First off, don't worry about that letter as the amount is just to scare you.. Legally a landlord in AZ has to mitigate his damages in the event of a breach and try to re-rent as soon as possible. So they have to try to find a new tenant and can't just claim you owe the entire rent for the lease. If it takes them a month or two to re-rent, then that is all they could potentially hold you liable for.

.

But there is no way they are going to come to WA and sue you in court, there, which is what they would have to do. So the worst they will do is report this to the credit agencies if you don't pay them once they re-rent for any lost rent.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks