Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My lease is up in 9 days. My landlord has been showing the…

Customer Question
My lease is up in...
My lease is up in 9 days. My landlord has been showing the rental unit. The landlord had multiple clients in at one time keeping my belongings unsecure. The landlord left all windows open, lights and tv on when the landlord left. Keeping my belongings insecure again, using my electricity ( I pay for). Can I stop the landlord from showing the property with multiple clients at one time. The landlord want a to do this again tomorrow?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/21/2017
Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 9 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your issue. The landlord is required to give at least 24 hours notice, sometimes more depending what state you live in, before they enter the property with possible renters. Unfortunately you can not restrict the number of people entering the property; however, you may put the landlord on notice of how they are leaving your property. The first step is to put in writing, so that you have documentation to show a judge, that the landlord is not to leave windows open, electricity turned on, and so worth. Ideally you would want to send this request via certified mail so that you have a formal receipt that the landlord received the letter. Since the landlord may be entering tomorrow, you might want to hand deliver the letter and have the landlord sign a document stating they acknowledge receiving it.

Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 9 months ago

If the landlord disobeys the items stated in the letter you may have recourse against the landlord.

Can I be in the rental unit during the viewing to keep my belongings secure?
Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 9 months ago

Yes. Landlords prefer the tenant not being home; however, they cannot make vacate the residence.

Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 9 months ago

Please let me know if you have an additional question or need clarification of the information provided. Also please do not forget to rate my answer so that I may receive credit. Thank you!

Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 9 months ago

Hello again. I have not heard back from you and I wanted to follow up. Please let me know if there is anything else I may help you with. Also in order to close this question please rate my answer so that the question may be marked as complete. Thank you!

Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 9 months ago

If there is nothing else I may help you with, please rate my answer so that this question may be marked as complete. Thank you!