Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a property manager and there is a dispute that the

Customer Question
owner has given the tenant...
I am a property manager and there is a dispute that the owner has given the tenant a 24 hour notice to inspect
but they are in dispute because of habitual items the landlord agreed to have fixed with in 2 weeks after
tenants moved, still are not fixed. The contract came back with lease and addendum 1 & 4, missing addendum's 2 & 3 that had the terms and amounts. Finally got back 2 & 3 and honestly I looked at 2 not 3
a few months later the tenant calls says please forward me the contract and my addendum 3 was replaced with a completely different addendum 3 by another broker and had tenants signatures back dated on the addendum and only half of what was agreed to. The question is in this case does the tenant legally have to allow the owner to inspect if there going to land up in a legal matter? The tenant has moved out of the home but is still paying rent and is moving forward with making city complaints and suing. Would you recommend they have a police man there at time of inspection in case of a dispute between owner and tenant? I know the owner is trying to get in to do repairs and tenant is stating you do not have permission and I am filing complaints.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/21/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. The answer to your question is that if a party changes the terms of an agreement, but the other party has not agreed to those new and additional terms, there is no enforceable agreement at the time until the other party accepts or rejects those terms. Thuys, if the tenant added items and did not give the owner a chance to review the documentation, then that agreement is not going to be enforceable. I can imagine that this situation has more layers than meets the eye, so what other questions did you have for me?

Is a realtor or broker in California responsible to verify the creditworthiness or ability of the buyers business when terms for a second are added to a transaction? Say a first pays off the loan and the other half is done up on a separate agreement agreed to between the buyer and seller during escrow?
if the landlord sends a 24 hour notice to inspect - does the tenant have to allow landlord access?
There tenant notified landlord of habital items not repaired per contract that was agreed to at time of move in
that the tenant signed and landlord had agreed to a month later the landlord returns only contract addendum 1 & 2 & 3 was never returned that was attached to original contract but there was an addendum 3 from another realtors office with changed terms. I represented both sides so of course I dont want to get in the middle. The tenant now wants out of lease and feels by letting landlord on property he will try to force repairs that tenant is currently in the middle of calling health and building inspectors from the city. Would you recommend that the tenant allow the landlord to inspect but have the police present as it would land up possible dispute. The tenant has moved out of the property but continues to pay rent.

Hi, it seems like your issue has a few lawyers that may be difficult to address in writing. Would you be interested in a phone call. It is $59 I believe, but it may be worth it in your circumstance so we can flesh out the facts and I can provide you with some suggestions to your questions.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer