Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I was traveling in France when a notice of change of

Customer Question
I was traveling in...

I was traveling in France when a notice of change of ownership was delivered to my apartment on August 29th. i had left the day before and had no idea the building was sold. I had mailed the rent to the old landlady. when i returned i paid late rent and rent for the next month to new owner.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California. he has filled an evection papers and he said he won't evict me but i have to pay him 2,500 for layers fee he incured doing the unlawful detainer.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes he filed an unlawful detainer on the 15th of this month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Was he obligated to give me more notice of change of ownership? do i have to reimburse him for lawyers fees to stay in my apt. It is rent controlled.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The old landlady was obligated to transfer any payments she received to the new landlord. Late fees are illegal in residential leases in California. You do not ever owe a late fee for past due rent. Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1671. If you wound up in court on this, you could defend based on the fact that they only gave you 2 days notice of the change and your rent had already been mailed (not to mention the fact that you were out of the country).

The statutes don't specifically address how much time a landlord must give a tenant when changing the payment address, but it could technically be construed as a change in the lease which means they must give you 60 days notice under Cal. Civ. Code, Section 827.

When a new owner purchases a rental building, the old lease transfers in its entirety. The new owner cannot change any terms without your consent. That means, if the original lease did not provide for you to pay legal fees, you do not have to pay the new owner. Ask them to produce a copy of a lease signed by you saying that you agreed to pay attorney's fees, because the burden is on them to do that.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?