Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If a tenant in california has utilities bills in their name…

Customer Question
If a tenant in...

If a tenant in california has utilities bills in their name does this give them rights to stay when the lease has been terminated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Utilities to be paid by tenants

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No how long for an answer? I need immediate help. not to wait for hours

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago

No, this does not give the tenants the right to remain after the lease.

If the tenants refuse to move out, the landlord will need to go through the eviction process.

In order to evict a tenant, the landlord must provide the tenant with an eviction notice. The eviction notice must give the tenant 30 days to move out if the tenant has resided in the rental unit for less than a year and 60 days if it has been 1 year or more. If the eviction is based on non-payment of rent and the landlord wishes to keep the tenant, then they may serve them with a 3 day notice.
If the tenant does not move out within the time period or pay the rent, then the landlord must file an unlawful detainer suit against the tenant. There will be a hearing at which the tenant may present evidence to dispute the eviction. However, an eviction of a month-to-month lease will be granted by the court. Once the court has ruled in the landlord's favor, the landlord can serve the tenant with a writ of possession and request the assistance of the sheriff's office to evict the tenant.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi