Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am currently living in a house that I rent monthly. The…

Customer Question
I am currently living...

I am currently living in a house that I rent monthly. The owners just put the house on the market and put a lockbox on my front door and told me that Realtors now have access to the house. Do i have a right to receive a 24 hour notice before a stranger enters my property?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

As far as what?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/20/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 11 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Do i have a right to receive a 24 hour notice before a stranger enters my property?

.

Absolutely. You have a legal right to "sole use and possession" of the property as well as "quiet use and enjoyment" under your lease contract and that includes the right to prior notice of any entry for purposes of exhibiting the property to potential purchasers.

.

There is no state statute that addresses landlord rights to access, so if the lease doesn't reserve specific rights, then common law controls. It says that the landlord, or his agents, have to give you at least 24 hours advance notice of any entry and can only enter during normal business hours, M-F 8am to 6pm unless you agree otherwise.

.

If they violate this, you can sue them for breach of contract for damages and injunctive action to prevent unscheduled showings.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years and a licensed Realtor for over 15...

.

.

thanks