Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My daughters applied for an apt they apparently signed a…

Customer Question
My daughters applied for an...
My daughters applied for an apt they apparently signed a lease online and put down a deposit. The leasing agent told them they had to come in at 9am this morning to sign a paper lease, the movers have loaded up there stuff and furniture is suppose to be delivered. We get there at 9 they was told they couldn't sign the lease or get the keys until 2 because the apt was not ready. I spoke with the asst property mgr she advised her leasing agent was incorrect on telling them 9. What are my legal rights is there anyway we can get the deposit back because now we have to pay all these fees for movers and delivery of the furniture
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/19/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

If the landlord was unable to deliver possession at the time and date promised in the lease then they are in default and your daughters can, unless otherwise stated in the lease, declare the lease terminated and sue the landlord to recover their damages.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

ok are you sending me a response

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!