Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

CA) Any law requires the tenant to give 30 day written

notice when tenant decides to...
CA) Any law requires the tenant to give 30 day written notice when tenant decides to move out? Thanks.
9/19/2017
insearchoftheanswer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Yes, there is a California statute requiring such written notice. California Civil Code 1946 is the California law that says the tenant can terminate a month-to-month tenancy when either side gives the other side at least 30 days written notice terminating the tenancy. Even after giving the Code Section 1946 notice, the tenant is still obligated to pay rent during this time and so long as the tenant is in possession of the rental unit. Oftentimes, tenants will stop paying rent after the landlord gives the tenant a Code Section 1946 termination notice.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

insearchoftheanswer

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.