Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

I am living in a duplex and never signed a lease. We have

I am living in a duplex and never signed a lease. We have heard rumors that our duplex is being foreclosed on. The other two tenants signed leases (month to month) but it has been over a year since they last signed one. What are our rights? Do we have to give a 30day notice if we plan on all moving out, die ri
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Oops due to the forecloser.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Omaha Nebraska
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. If you never signed a lease, then you are on a month to month lease by default. This means that if the property is foreclosed upon, then the new owner in a foreclosure only has to give you 10 days notice to quit the lease under Nebraska law, I am afraid.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
What if I want to move out and haven't signed a lease, what kind of notice am I required to
Give

In such a case, thirty days notice.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"