Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord is harassing us, shows up unannounced and

Customer Question
My landlord is harassing...

My landlord is harassing us, shows up unannounced and snooping around the outside of the house, accusing us of things we haven't don't and she doesn't have proof of any of it, and speaking to us disrespectfully. I need legal help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Miami, Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Miami, Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is harassing us. Calling us names. Defaming our character. This all started because my roommate smoke cigarettes. She's never smoked inside and our home doesn't smell like smoke. She called her a meth head. Then hurricane Irma came through. She told us to move our stuff to the middle of our apartment and evacuate. So we did. I asked her about boarding the windows and she said by law she's not responsible. She never told us we couldn't board the windows to protect our stuff, and we paid someone to do it. She's now saying we have to pay to repair the outside of the home, the tiny holes made by the 1 inch screws and we have to pay for an engineer and an architect to come and make sure we didn't cause structural damage to a cement block home. We put up preventative boards and already took them down. Shes been sending me messages regarding the fact and I feel I don't answer right away she calls. I spoke to her today and all she did was curse me out, call me and my roommate names, and threaten us with a 7 day eviction notice. The things she says are disrespectful and I no longer feel safe living here as she doesn't seem sane.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm so so sorry, please disregard my last post. That was for another customer!

Ok, thank you for your patience. This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of quiet enjoyment. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment. Under the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, it states that the landlord will not take any action or make any omission which disturbs a tenant’s right to possession and quiet enjoyment of the premises. The warranty does not protect the tenant from the acts of third parties over whom the landlord has no control. However, if the landlord does have control over the situation, but chooses to do nothing, then it is a violation. To help facilitate the situation, you may want to click here to download a “Complaint to Landlord” template and explain how the landlord is in control of the situation and that they are violating this covenant by not taking action. The template only costs $10 and the company that owns the template sends it securely in an email usually 1-2 business days after your purchase.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer