Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My wife and daughter have lived in a very nice home in Lone…

Customer Question
My wife and daughter...

My wife and daughter have lived in a very nice home in Lone Tree, Co for 4 years. Our rent is $4800 per month which we have paid on time every month . we recently left this residence and did a walk thru , which was on video, with our landlord. He verbally agrees there are no problems or reason to deduct from our deposit. the only issue was a pet door which we installed with his permission. We received an estimate to "fix" it, or put it back to its original condition for $260. The landlord decided not to fix it because his next tenant might want the pet door. We agreed and he said he would hold back $260 in case new tenant didn't want pet door. We finally received our deposit back, 5 days after the required 60 days set by Colorado law. He not only held back $1500 for pet door but didn't pay us for the $500 pet deposit. So he now owes us $2000 and will not return phone calls. he says he is trying to get pet door replaced but can't find anyone. Its now 17 days past the 60 day window to repay our deposit. What can we do?BTW, this same landlord refused to repair heating and A/C and other issues while we lived there . We finally called Douglas County to come to the house because he hired unlicensed contractors to finally do repairs 60 days later. Douglas County said repairs were not up to code and needed to be redone. I felt my family was at risk and provided our landlord with Douglas County documentation. He laughed and did nothing . It is why we moved. Please help us deal with this asshole.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado, greater Denver area

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.didnt know where to file

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

phone is fine.(###) ###-####

If your landlord does not return your security deposit or give you a list of reasons for withholding it within the required time limit they lose any right to keep any part of the security deposit.

Your first step is to send a 7 day demand letter for the return of the deposit.

If they fail to return the deposit then your remedy is to sue them in small claims court. If you prevail, you can recover, not only the deposit, but punitive damages and attorney fees, as well.

Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Great. How do I file a claim in small claims court? and Where? Give me an example of a 7 day demand letter

Thank you for following up with me.

Click on the link I provided for the letter.

To file in small claims court, simply go to the county courthouse for the county where the property is located and ask the clerk for the forms you need to file a claim in small claims court. The forms are basically fill in the blank. You file them, pay a filing fee. The clerk should be able to assist you, but it is pretty straight forward once you see the forms. They have instructions.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

Give me an example of a 7 day demand letter and where do I file in small claims court ? Also, how do I provide a link on line to make sure future renters don't get screwed by this guy who has multiple properties

The courthouse is at:

4000 Justice Way, Castle Rock, CO 80109

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Again, how do we post on line a link that future renters don't get victimized by this abusive landlord ? I am a CEOvof a large company that will not stand for bad behavior . I have the resources to punishing this slum lord. What can we do?

The link is not really a legal issue or question, but you can file a consumer complaint with the CO Attorney General.

You can file online at the following link:

https://www.stopfraudcolorado.gov/about-consumer-protection/report-fraud/consumer-complaint-form

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer