Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

In Oregon, if a person gives a 30 day notice are the legally…

Customer Question
In Oregon, if a...

In Oregon, if a person gives a 30 day notice are the legally justified in requesting a return of the unused rent. I pay 800 a month for a bedroom, I gave a 30 day notice and when I asked for a check before I leave on the 24 the landlady informed me she was keeping the last weeks rent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oregon, Florence

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No lease, I pay month to month and nothing was ever signed. I even typed up her rules and regulations and there was nothing in the rules about return of rent.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/18/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 11 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. No, I'm sorry to say that you wouldn't have a case for the "unused" rent. The 30 day is for both landlord and tenant. You're giving notice to the landlord that they have 30 days until you're out. You could leave day 1 and still owe the entire month's rent. A month to month lease is still a contract, and there are obligations and expectations on both sides. Each party can expect 30 days written notice to terminate. And the landlord can take the entire 30 days. If you leave day 1, 10, 20, etc... the landlord has no obligation to refund any "unused" portion.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 10 months ago

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!