Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I rent a home. When I signed the lease it stated that the…

Customer Question
I rent a home...

I rent a home. When I signed the lease it stated that the rent was $400/month (I still have the original). The original company sold their properties to another comapany. My rent went up to $450 but I was never informed of this. I even went into their office to pay my rent in poerson and I was giving them $400

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Not once did they mention my rent was now $450. I had to ASK why I was getting behind in my rent since I was paying on time every month. It was then I found out. they never once mentioned I was not paying the full rent (as they raised it.)

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am now expected to pay the "late" payments PLUS late fees.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Did the original lease term end at any point before the rent went up?

There is no end date. I have lived here for over 6yrs. TC Lewis bought my original lease company out about 2yrs ago. I have never signed another lease.
I still have the paper the new company sent me to notify me of the change but there is NO rent amount on that form. I still have it too.

Can you scan and attach that, please?

And you never had a lease agreement?

I am not sure I can scan it to you. I will try. The only lease agreement I have is the original for $400/month.
Did this scan work?

Give me some time to take a look/ Thanks for your patience.

No problem. I am a disabled Vet so I don't have a lot of money. $600 is a lot to me.
I know that other tenants were very mad about this too since the same thing was done to them.

OK, so the first thing I see is that you had a lease agreement starting in 12/5/2012 that was for 1 year. Look just under the words "Rental Agreement" and you will see the phrase "One Year Lease." So technically, there was an end date: 12/5/2013 (one year from the start date of the original lease).

Usually, when the lease ends and you stay, you renew either on a month-to-month basis or for another lease term, which would be for another year. I do not have the information, but it should be in the document you signed originally. Please find the remaining pages and let me know if the information about renewals exists.

I did see the "1 Year." I looked everywhere in the lease except on the first page. I never signed another agreement. It was just automatically renewed with the original company I guess. That is the ONLY one I ever signed. I will try and scan the rest of the document to you. Give me a minute.
I also incuded the letter TC Lewis sent out when they took over the lease.

FYI, you scanned the documents in upside down and out of order. Make sure that in the future, you make them right side up and in order, so it is easy for the next expert to help you.

I've read the agreement. Since it does not speak to renewing lease terms, I have to now go check the state statutes.

I apologize for the document.

No apology necessary. Just wanted to let you know.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. Please note that I am just a messenger of information. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

Please keep in mind that I am here only to provide general information. I do not make any decisions on your case, nor do I have any control over it. So please do not hold against me an outcome that you did not want or expect. I am just a messenger.

ANSWER: There are a couple of issues here. First, the issue of the type of lease you now have. And second, the issue of notice for the increase in rent.

In terms of the type of lease, you have converted automatically to a month-to-month lease once your original lease term ran out. You are therefore subject to statutes that govern month-to-month leases. This is important because of the situation with the rent increase.

Tennessee does not have a state statute on the amount of notice a landlord must provide you in order to increase the rent or change other terms of a month-to-month rental agreement. So unless your rental agreement says otherwise, the landlord must typically provide the same amount of notice to change the rent or another term of the tenancy as state law requires the landlord to provide when ending the tenancy—in this case, 30 days.

Accordingly, the notice that rent was going to be increased on a month-to-month tenancy should have been 30 days. If you are absolutely sure that no notice was given, you should contact a landlord-tenant lawyer in your area to help you with this case.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!