Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I am getting ready to go to small claims court suing the…

I am getting ready to...
I am getting ready to go to small claims court suing the landlord of the home we lived in briefly. There was water coming into the property and consistent issues with mold and even mushrooms coming up through the carpet. The owner kept saying he was fixing it, never actually did. Anyways, I am told I have 6-8 minutes max in court. I have videos explaining and lots of pictures to show, even a voicemail from a county inspector. I was not able to get a mold inspection done due to the cost. I am going for return of my rent due to a breached warrant of habitability and return of my security deposit. What approach do you recommend I take during the time I have with the judge?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Infolawyer, Attorney
First, you won't be rushed and proceeding could take an hour or two until all evidence is presented.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Keep your evidence focused on the condition, cost, notice to landlord and landlord refusal to fix.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Ok. If I have a voicemail from the county and a video...that they may not have a way for me to play. What is the best way for me to share that? Will typing it out work for the voicemail and screenshots printed of the video work?
Try to bring a device that can play it. Even downloading it onto your computer or phone and testing in advance.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Got it. Will do. Thank you!

Thank you!

Infolawyer, Attorney
Infolawyer, Attorney