Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am renting in Tacoma,, United States. I will be leaving my…

Customer Question
Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is***** and I am renting in Tacoma, Washington, United States. I will be leaving my apartment with proper notice next month and will do my best to clean it. My security deposit was 300.00 USD. If I leave without being there for the walkthrough and take photos before I leave, can the landlord charge more than what I paid for the security deposit? And if so, what if I just disregard the payment? I will do my absolute best to keep it as clean as possible and I believe there will only be normal wear and tear, but can they chase me and bring me to small claims court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington, USA Washington State.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nope, not at all I have not left yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is all completely hypothetical

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/18/2017
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

You do not necessarily need to be present for the final walk-through, although it is beneficial to ensure that the landlord and you are on the same page. You may want to video the entire rental, because that will ensure that you will not have missed anything in the photos.

Normal wear and tear is not chargeable to the tenant. Only cleaning the rental unit and excessive damage.

If the landlord determines that any of these conditions exist, then they may take file civil suit against you for any damages and/or cleaning that the security deposit does not cover. If you do not appear for the civil suit, the court will grant the landlord a judgement and the landlord will be able to pursue your assets to satisfy the judgement.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.