Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a rent stabilized tenan t in this building for 35

Customer Question
I am a rent...

I am a rent stabilized tenan t in this building for 35 years. I will be in court the 19th of Sept. regarding substantial arrears,I need a few months to pay the rent due, but judge had warned I would anly receive 5 days. What can I do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York City - Mannhattan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes ,lack of repairs and harassment, but most of the repairs have now been made.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is urgant.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/17/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the court may require you to either become current on the rent or move out within a certain amount of time. They may also require you to pay back the amount over time. Or, they may not decide to enforce any specific time for you to pay back. However, you will probably have to strongly consider that you may end up having to move within a certain amount of time if the court orders. Otherwise, the NYPD may have the authorization to move you out of the building. I’m very sorry about that. Unless you have a defense to the reason why you shouldn’t be evicted, then they may. For example, if they violated the implied warranty of habitability, then you could argue that the rent that was related to the areas that were not repaired should be deducted from the arrears.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually. Finally, I have to step away from my cpu momentarily, but I will back to answer any follow up questions you have.