Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I just rented a new apartment and signed the contract but…

Customer Question
I just rented a new...
I just rented a new apartment and signed the contract but upon inspection there are some damages and dirty items. Air conditioner doesn't function properly, closets in the kitchen are so dirty, stove is dirty and old, the glass door in the living room is rusty, has broken particles, and the glass is all stained and shady, Landlord tells me I have to maintain the closet, they are not sure they will do all maintenance and if they have to change the stove they will increase rent. The AC has an electrical hazard. What can I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/17/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 8 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Did you inspect the place before you signed the rental contract?

.

What state is this in?

.

thanks

Move-in date is the 16th Sept. I had indicated I needed a document to use for school registration for my kids so the said I could sign and they will give me something to take to school. I just signed the inspection form today where I expressed my concern

Ok, I am not sure if that answers the question of whether you inspected the place before you signed a lease? That is a yes or no answer..

.

No. I signed the contract before inspection

Ok, then you are kind of stuck here with regard to the place being dirty. When a tenant signs a lease for a property sight unseen, they are explicitly accepting it in its "as is " condition, excepting any code violations.

.

But take lots of pictures of the conditions so they don't try and claim that you caused them..

.

With that said, if there are electrical problems or hazards, you can tell the landlord you will be calling Code Enforcement in to come and inspect the entire property for any violations and have them cited if they won't release you from the lease.

.

It may work, it may not. But if not, then call Code and get them to inspect and cite the owner to force him to fix anything that violates the housing code so you know you have a safe place to live.

.

.

thanks

I still don't feel OK here. The inspection sheet I think is part of the contract which I signed today. Does that not count in anyway?

When you sign the inspection sheet, you are basically stating that the place is ok with you, but noting any issues for the record. But that wouldn't serve to make the lease invalid or voidable.

.

But you can use the inspection form to request repairs of any issues and then call Code if they won't make repairs.

.

You can break the lease, and they would have to try and find a new tenant. But they could still hold you liable for any lost rent until they do so.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

I still believe something needs to be done. I am not OK with this

I am not sure what to tell you.. it would have been best to actually inspect the apartment before signing the lease to make sure it wasn't in bad condition or dirty. If you get in a hurry with things like this and just trust shady landlords, then they will often take advantage of a situation..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney