Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in a downstairs apartment. The girl above me is every…

I live in a...

I live in a downstairs apartment. The girl above me is every night going around her whole apartment stomping as loud as she can stomp. She is a very large heavy person. She is mad because our landlord asked her to keep her tv noise down, so she is every night stomping. The landlord told me to call the police. I did. He spoke to her but as soon as he left she began it again. I cannot sleep because of this and am at my wits end. The landlord seems unwilling to push for eviction. what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, I have sent letters to the landlord and police reports have been filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a handicapped parking space. She continues to park in it or the one next to mine and threatens us that if we dont have our cars in those spots, she will be in them.. On private property, the sheriff says they cannot give tickets for parking in handicap spaces. ???

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

How can one use and have available their handicap space when just anyone can park there.

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

ok
How can I enforce my right to quiet living law with the landlord?

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Questions:

The landlord seems unwilling to push for eviction. what can I do?

Response 1: File lawsuit against the Landlord for breach of the lease/rental agreement for refusing to force the Tenant to respect your quiet enjoyment of the premises. So, the lawsuit would be violation of your quiet enjoyment of the premises against the Landlord for refusing to force the upstairs Tenant to comply with her terms of the lease: to be considerate of other Tenants and reduce noise in her apartment.

The lawsuit would be filed at your local Courthouse. You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Response 2: You have to report this to the Landlord. Unfortunately, the Sheriff or the Police cannot enforce handicap parking rules on a private property.

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you.