Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am in a lease for renting a low income apartment. New

Customer Question
I am in a...

I am in a lease for renting a low income apartment. New neighbors moved in next door to me in upstairs apartment. I am harassed by them and management does nothing. She says it is a neighbor 2 doors down. Trash is in front of my door, cigar buts on my side and I have asked the young girl to not smoke in the small area to enter the apartments because I have a breathing problem.But she does it on purpose now. It is a problem because this is not a smoke free place and the manager says she can't do anything about it. Now I am confronted at the door with the mother and young girl when I enter by being call a bitch and nasty bitch. The management does nothing to help me here. I have been here for 3 years with no problems ever with any neighbors until these people moved in. I need to get out of this situation, Is it possible to get out of the lease without breaking the lease and have a bad reference.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/16/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 11 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this and understand your concern. Please allow me a moment to respond.

As a tenant, you have a right to quiet enjoyment. This is something that should not be disturbed and if it is, the management/landlord, needs to step in and correct it. If there is evidence that another tenant or tenants are interfering with your use and enjoyment of the rental and your quiet enjoyment, it needs to be cured. If you have informed them and they refuse to do anything, you could have a basis to hold them in breach of the lease and vacate and sue for damages. They should be sending notice to the other tenant about this and advising them to cease the conduct and if they do not, proceed with eviction, based upon a violation of the lease. Saying they is false, if the tenant is in violation of the lease or interfering with other tenants.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!