Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I signed a one year lease with three other girls in Maryland…

Customer Question
I signed a one...

I signed a one year lease with three other girls in Maryland last year. The lease expired on 7/12/17 and we all signed a notice that we would move out on 7/11/17. I turned in my key on 6/7/17 and was told that the rent would be prorated for July. At the end of June the rental company said since one girl had requested to stay till the end of July all of us would have to pay the entire month's rent. I protested and they agreed to a prorated amount which I paid my share. After 45 days I sent an e-mail requesting my security deposit. After failing to respond for 5 days the rental company is now claiming that because one girl turned in her key on 7/17/17 that we are back to owing the entire month's rent and that the security deposit doesn't cover the entire amount and we (meaning all four girls) owe an additional $400. They claim they are treating this as one unit and all of us are responsible. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Maryland.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if I should file a complaint with the Maryland Attorney General's office or if the landlord is in the right.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/15/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 11 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

can you tell me if the lease had a provision "joint and several liability"?

I don't know. I don't have copy but one of my ex roommates does

Thank you;

essentially if it states "joint and several liability" then each roommate is responsible for the entire lease- so the landlord can choose to go after one roommate for all monies owing (and then that roommate can pursue the others for their share of the damages).

If it does not state that, then each roommate is individually liable for their portion.

Leases do tend to have the joint and several liability language unless individual rooms are rented out (common in "college towns").

However, if one roommate unilaterally extended the lease, then the other roommates can sue that roommate to recover any monies they had to pay as a result of that extension.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 10 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: