Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Our landlord has been extremely rude and aggressive for no…

Customer Question
Our landlord has been...

Our landlord has been extremely rude and aggressive for no apparent reason since we moved in 14 days ago. Can we get out of the lease. I don't want to deal with this guy every day for a year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York city

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There was a leak into the apartment below when we arrived from the shower. but its fixed now. theres a dishwasher that's broken

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/14/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

Every lease has an implied warranty of habilitability, and an implied warranty of quiet use and enjoyment.

Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability; the landlord must repair substantial defects in the unit and ensure compliance with state and local building and health codes. The idea is that it is a safe living environment. However, the landlord is not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets.
The implied covenant of quiet use and enjoyment means that the tenant is entitled to the peaceful use of the premises.

These are implied in every lease and cannot be waived.
Violation of these covenants/warranties constitute "constructive eviction"

In order to safeguard the tenant's rights, the tenant must give written notice to the landlord of the defect and if it is not fixed within a reasonable time then that may constitute grounds for constructive eviction.

As for a rude landlord, landlords are not entitled to harass a tenant, but because rudeness is objective and difficult to quantify it is often difficult to prove that it reached the level required to affect quiet enjoyment.

http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/categories/housing-development.page

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, attorney