barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I live in a rental with a room mate. We both have our own

Customer Question

I live in a rental with a room mate. We both have our own rooms can she just enter my roomor let someone in my room without permission.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Southern California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Animal control officer came to our rental and asked to go to my room without a warrant... can they do that?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live with a room mate in a condo. She helps take care of my dog which is a pitbull. Today she was busy packing and put my dog in her kennel. Someone called animal control because of my dog crying. They came to our door and my room mate let them in. She also let them into my room where my dog was in her kennel. Can they just do that?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

can she just enter my roomor let someone in my room without permission.

,

No, assuming that your agreement with the roommate was that each of you got your own room, then that is your private area and the other roommate has no right to enter it without your permission.

.

But Animal Control officers have legal authority to investigate alleged cases of animal abuse or animal cruelty and can file criminal charges against the owners. So if there was some concern that the dog was injured or was abused, the officer would have had the legal authority to enter the room to investigate once they asked the roommate to enter the dwelling.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Animal control issued a preseizure hearing notice citing that my dog does not have water in the kennel and that the kennel was not the proper size.

Ok, then you would have to appear and explain the situation and how your roommate put the dog in her kennel temporarily and that it does not normally stay there....that is why it was crying and making noises..

.

That is a logical explanation to the situation..