Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi,
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Rosenstein & Associates
99622407

Looking for someone to answer a landlord tenant question.

Customer Question

looking for someone to answer a landlord tenant question .
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: a report to the health dept was filed last week but today my son received a call threatening to evict them because they are with holding rent to the roach problem is death with
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that sums it up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roy Hadavi replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I am sorry to hear that your son is dealing with a cockroach infestation at his rental unit.

Your son has several options (including withholding rent).

The California Department of Consumer Affairs provides an excellent guide that provides all the information your son will need to tackle this issue. Please click here to view the guide. The landlord may not evict your son, if your son has a valid reason to withhold rent.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand that but and I have an official complaint pending with the health dept but in 3 days they are going to lock them out of their apartment. Is there any way to stop that now?

They will need to file for a temporary injunction in superior court preventing the landlord from changing the locks. If they are unable to get the injunction in time, they will need to contact the sheriff's office to get them involved.

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.