Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We moved into an apartment last month and there was an issue…

Customer Question
We moved into an...

We moved into an apartment last month and there was an issue with my bank and they returned my checks to the apartment complex. I notified the apartment complex asap and I got a cashiers' check and paid them the deposits, first and last month's rent and the nsf fees. We have to pay rent on the 1st 2nd or 3rd. On the 3rd I went online to pay my rent and it showed a credit balance of $712. My rent is $789 so I paid the difference. On the 6th I get a notice on my door stating I am past due and must pay or I will be evicted. I went online and they posted a bunch of charges and credits on the 5th of September leaving me owing $792. Is there anything I can do about this or do I face eviction?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As far as an eviction notice?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is it. My boyfriend got an extension for us to pay by this Friday. I called today to pay by credit card and they won't accept it. They want a money order or cashiers check only

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 11 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What charges did they add on?

Rent of $687 which our normal rent is $789. NSF fee of $30 which I had originally paid with my cashier's check. I paid two. One check for the deposit and one for the first and last month's rent. an LMR deposit of $65 and now a late fee of $35.
I can't afford anymore charges on here. I just need an answer if I should hire an attorney or not to fight this or just figure out how to pay.

Thank you and please allow me a moment

From a legal standpoint, if the rent and other fees are not paid as owed, the landlord/management can evict. if there was an issue with your bank and the returned checks, you would have to cure this and pay what is owed plus any other fees and costs which they incurred as a result. If they are over charging you or have no legal basis to charge you what they are, you have a defense and can contest this but prior to retaining an attorney, you may want to respond to them and break down the fees and present to them what you feel that is owed, in hopes of settling this. If this can not be resolved and you do not think you owe it, you should retain counsel to defend you. If they are refusing credit card, you could go to the bank and take a cash advance off of it and then use the case and obtain a money order or cashiers check .

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!