How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 12410
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rent space for a church in Worcester, MA; after an

Customer Question

I have a rent space for a church in Worcester, MA; after an inspection of the City, there are to make changes to the old electrical wires and the owner told me that it is up to us to do so. I do not think so, because we are just tenants, not landlords and his costs a lot of money. Am I correct?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Worcester, MA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: We do not have a lease, we are month by month because he is a new owner and has not made us lease although we have 16 years in that place, he is making a lot of improvement to the building
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I would like it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Ultimately, since there is no lease that states that the landlord is required to make the changes, then the landlord has no legal obligation to make the changes (this answer would be different if it were residential property). Since the landlord is not obligated to make the changes, that means your choice is to make the changes, or vacate the property.

I am truly sorry for the bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Also, despite the bad news, I would certainly appreciate it if you remember to provide a positive rating via the stars, as it is the only way that I'll get credit for answering your question(s). Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is not we who are asking for this repair but the City!!!
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again.

I realize that the City is asking for the repair. And therefore, I assume that if the repair is not made, then you will no longer be able to legally use the property. That is why I indicated that you must make the repair or vacate.