Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a rent space for a church in Worcester, MA; after an…

Customer Question
I have a rent...

I have a rent space for a church in Worcester, MA; after an inspection of the City, there are to make changes to the old electrical wires and the owner told me that it is up to us to do so. I do not think so, because we are just tenants, not landlords and his costs a lot of money. Am I correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Worcester, MA

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We do not have a lease, we are month by month because he is a new owner and has not made us lease although we have 16 years in that place, he is making a lot of improvement to the building

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I would like it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/13/2017
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Ultimately, since there is no lease that states that the landlord is required to make the changes, then the landlord has no legal obligation to make the changes (this answer would be different if it were residential property). Since the landlord is not obligated to make the changes, that means your choice is to make the changes, or vacate the property.

I am truly sorry for the bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Also, despite the bad news, I would certainly appreciate it if you remember to provide a positive rating via the stars, as it is the only way that I'll get credit for answering your question(s). Thank you. :)

It is not we who are asking for this repair but the City!!!

Hi again.

I realize that the City is asking for the repair. And therefore, I assume that if the repair is not made, then you will no longer be able to legally use the property. That is why I indicated that you must make the repair or vacate.