Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi,
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Rosenstein & Associates
99622407

I have a tenant who signed a 1 yr lease, hasn't paid their

Customer Question

i have a tenant who signed a 1 yr lease, hasn't paid their last month rent completely, as a first and last (on move in). haven't paid rent for this month, which is now over 10 days late, and they have declared they are thinking about wanting to break their lease. Can I issue them a 72 hour notice to pay rent? To be able to start the eviction process? I live in Portland Oregon, but not in the city limits.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Oregon. It's a Portland address, but not in the city limits
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they have paid 1/2 of their last month's rent in two installments. And a $1000 security deposit. I've offered them a proposal for a lease termination to have them pay a whole month's rent ($1600) and let the 1/2 last mo's rent and the security deposit be the lease termination break fee
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roy Hadavi replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Yes, you may serve them with a 3-day notice of eviction and commence an unlawful detainer suit against the tenant, if they do not pay all outstanding debt before the end of the notice period.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Did you have any follow-up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.