barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 17 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My landlord has recently just walk in to our house. No

Customer Question

Hello, my landlord has recently just walk in to our house. No knocking or warning of any kind. my 10 year old granddaughter was home and a bit shocked when she just walked. She then told my granddaughter that she was checking on the animals. And told her that she or some one needed to pay rent for her being here.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I took the granddaughter to visit with the sheriff. He gave the landlord verbal reminder that she needs to give notice before she want to enter the house. None
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She then denies it even happened. Now she left papers on the door telling us to leave in 21 days.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you under a written fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

Is granddaughter living there and if so is that a violation of the lease?

.

What is your legal question I can help with tonight? Are you asking if she can terminate your tenancy?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a month to month lease. No my granddaughter was here waiting for school to start. So now she is wanting us to move. She is the one in the wrong not us.

Ok, it sounds like the landlord might be a little "off" since every landlord knows that you can't just walk into a tenant's home unannounced..

.

With that said, I really hate to tell you this, but in Washington, either landlord or tenant can terminate a month to month tenancy with a written 20 day notice to vacate. So even if she was wrong about granddaughter living there, she can legally terminate your tenancy and then file a formal eviction if you didn't vacate.

.

However, you could fight any eviction as being a product of illegal retaliation because you called the sheriff on her under RCW 59.18.250 and ask the judge to dismiss the case and award you damages based on her unlawful actions.

.

Basically any negative action a landlord takes against a tenant after the tenant exercises a legal right (i.e. calling the sheriff on her) within 90 days is presumed to be illegal retaliation..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much