Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My daughter and 3 friends moved into a home and about 9

Customer Question

My daughter and 3 friends moved into a home and about 9 months into the lease, 1 of the 2 bathroom sinks would not drain. The landlords plumber came on 2 occasions to snake the drain but determined there were vines and other debris had crept into the older pipes and construction to repair this would be required. The landlord advised the girls they could have the repair work done which would be 2-3 days of major construction or they could just deal with the slow moving sink until the lease expired (3 months). They chose to deal with the sinks. There were also scorpion issues now as a result of the pipe issue causing these guys to come up through the pipes. She is suing them now and evicting them now (lease expires this month). She states that maliciously and intentionally damaged her plumbing with their neglect. Court date is tomorrow
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I co-signed for my daughter as she was a college student and the landlord reduced the rent. No other parents co-signed. She is also suing me for the damages so I have to go to court as well
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's about it. She wants $1000 in damages. The girls have all moved out, but have not turned over the keys at this point.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear of this. What basis does she have for this claim? What evidence does she have?