Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My town requires all rental homes to be registered and

Customer Question
My town requires all...

My town requires all rental homes to be registered and inspected. This passed in 2012. I moved in 9 months before. In 6 years it has not been registered or inspected. does this mean my lease is invaild?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

North Richland hills TX

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Standard lease. The house is NOT up to code. Didn't have even 1 working smoke detector when we moved in let alone one in every bedroom like law requires. She is threatening to sue us for breaking our lease but it seems to us it would be invalid since our town wouldn't have allowed her to rent to us anyways

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Basically she is suing us for 10 grand for lease violations and "damages" but we are hoping the the lease is null and void since it was not leagally rented

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/8/2017
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
On review of your facts, you have a good case. Where lease improperly done and registration not completed the lease is voidable and tenant has a defense to claims for payment. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. if needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer