Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Just moved in and toilets not working, sink backing up.

Customer Question
Just moved in and...

Just moved in and toilets not working, sink backing up. Manager not answering. What do I do. Three kids two adults.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No. Emergency number given only.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Called today and left message with emergency number.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you for your patience. This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement.

To help facilitate the situation, you may want to click here to download a “Complaint to Landlord” template. The template only costs $10 and the company that owns the template sends it securely in an email usually 1-2 business days after your purchase.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.