Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We moved from Miami, Fl 3 weeks ago to Edgewater, Fl on the…

Customer Question
We moved from Miami...

We moved from Miami, Fl 3 weeks ago to Edgewater, Fl on the Eastern Central part of Florida. We paid a security & 1st months rent. We're renting by the month. Hurricane Irma will probably impact our area & the realtors refuse to shutter the house or help with shuttering. We offered to pay for plywood if their handimen would shutter & they refused. My mom is 102, I'm 80 & my husband is77 years old. We're hesitant to get on the road due to crowding & gas shortage to get out of Edgewater. Does the realtor have the right to refuse to help us?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. This is happening right now. They refused us today.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/7/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 8 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Does the realtor have the right to refuse to help us?

.

Unfortunately if the owner of the property doesn't want to take action to protect their property, that is their choice and is entirely legal for them to do... foolish.. but legal. You can't force someone to take care of their own property. But the realtor is just the agent of the landlord so he has no duty to do anything unless directed to do so by the landlord.

.

But if it is damaged so as to become uninhabitable, the landlord is then in breach of contract and would have to put you up in a new place until it was repaired at his expense due to his foolishness.

.

.

thanks

legally we have no recourse as for them to help provide shutters for us
No we're on limited funds so not able to go any further. Thank you for your time.

Those phone call offers are not generated by me, but rather by the JustAnswer website. I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

I am more than happy to continue on the website though..

So legally we have no recourse as for them to help provide shutters for us

.

Unfortunately no, they have no legal duty to provide storm shutters for the property if they don't want to.. They can simply let the storm damage the property if they don't want to take any precautionary measures to protect it.

.

Pretty foolish if you ask me, but that is their choice.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney