Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

We closed on our home 2 weeks ago. The home is in Montgomery

Customer Question

We closed on our home 2 weeks ago. The home is in Montgomery County MD. After moving in we discovered cat urine all throughout the carpets and even wood floors. The smell has increased since we moved in. It became apparent in the carpets when have cable and other lines run under the carpet. The workers could hardly bear the odor. There are visible stains under the carpet and padding. We inquired to the seller prior to closing if there were any cats in the house and we have an email from her stating that she replaced the carpet 3 months ago and prior to replacement she relocated her cats to her new place. We inquired because we have a son that is highly allergic to cats but felt good about it given all carpets were replaced. This was clearly not correct. There is cat urine throughout only to be noticed by smell not stains until you lift the carpet. Do we have any recourse knowing we have the email and can prove through professional services that cat urine is throughout the house? I don't think disclosure of this is required under MD law. The seller was the sole prior owner and admitted to having cats in the email. Please let me know your thoughts.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: As mentioned above Maryland
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did she actually replace the carpet?

.

Did it look new?

.

Was the cat urine soaked into the carpet or was it under the new carpet absorbed by the actual floor?

.

Did she admit in the email that she had the cats there?

.

Was this before or after you closed on the property?

.

.

thanks