Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I was evicted in Georgia from my apartment after receiving

Customer Question

I was evicted in Georgia from my apartment after receiving an eviction notice. My amount on my notice was like$1,200. I paid them a check of $1,500. A leasing officer accepted my check and three weeks later I was evicted and told because I was $8 short from what I owed the complex and they couldn't accept a partial payment even though they did.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Stockbridge Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I received an eviction notice for like $1,200 and I complied with that and paid over thinking I was paying my rent in full. The leasing agent accepted my check and told me that I was $8 short but said it wasn't a big deal. I went out of town three weeks later and cameback and I was evicted. I spoke to a Sheriff and was told that it was illegal cause they accepted the check. Not only did they accept the check but they claim that they slide it back under my door to return it to me cause they couldn't take a partial payment. So when I asked for my check back, they said they put it towards my bill cause the Evicting Officer found it in my apartment and gave it to them.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I contacted the complex to let them know I intend to dispute this and they told me that they wouldn't talk to me but they would talk to my legal team. they also asked me if I wanted to move back in and I said no. I want money.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 1 month ago.
Good afternoon. Did you pay exactly what was stated in the notice which they provided you?