How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 46
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Today was the 30 day mark of my moving out of my previous

Customer Question

Today was the 30 day mark of my moving out of my previous apartment; the landlord has failed to return my security deposit, and has also failed to give me an itemized report detailing what my security deposit was used for. I live in Ohio, and I want to know what my next step is
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I have photos and a video of the unit that I took before handing over the keys; the representative in the office refused to do a walk-through with me, and stated that one would be completed 'in a few days'
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The property manager and I have had a few run-ins in the past; we did not get along, and I feel as though this is the reason why I'm not getting my refund
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Where deposit has not been timely returned or any offset explained as required, tenant may sue to recover the deposit, liquidated damages, interest and legal fees. This can be done in small claims court or through local counsel. Good to have a timeline of events o be able to present a clear and concise case. Often threat of lawsuit will lead to prompt settlement.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Is that fast and acceptable?