barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

We rented a cabin in northern MN for a week We paid $1800.00

We rented a cabin in northern MN for a week We paid $1800.00 for the rental. After two nights we found mice, and were told the place was condemned. We were put in a less than desirable place on the same property, but our vacation was ruined. We departed a day early. They refunded as $300.00. Do we have any legal recourse?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I'm sorry yes this was in Minnesota.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No lease at all. It was a full service resort and we were renting the cabin for vacation. It was to include everything except towels. The place was horrid. Electrical wiring running out in the open , holes in the walls and ceiling and mice everywhere.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

You could sue the resort for the diminution in value between the two properties if you wanted to sue them in small claims court. You paid for a property that should have been up to a certain standard of living and it apparently was far below that. Then you were moved to a marginally better dwelling for the remainder. So since you paid 1800 and were refunded 300, you are at 1500 for the stay. It would be up to you to determine what that stay was actually worth and then file suit against them for breach of contract.

.

Small claims doesn't award punitive damages, but the judge can rule that the experience was so lousy that it was virtually valueless and award you most if not all your money back. But to make an impact, you really need photos of how bad the conditions were..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help. You gave me exactly what I needed. Have a nice evening.