Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can my landlord charge me for a second lease that I signed 6…

Can my landlord charge...

Can my landlord charge me for a second lease that I signed 6 months before the end of the first lease, but due to financial reason and enlisting in the military I had to move a couple of months before the second lease began?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No that was the landlord responsibility, and the property was cleaned upon leaving, all but the refridgerator.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The land lord is also charging five dollars a day one the first lease and the new lease that I did not live there for.

8/17/2017
Andrew
Andrew, Attorney

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

Are you being charged twice for two different leases on the same property?

The first lease was up at the beginning of August, and now she is charging me for the second lease and I have been there since June.
haven't

Even if you are not living on the premises if you signed a lease the landlord is entitled to continue charging you rent. If you stop paying rent altogether the landlord could sue you for the remaining balance that is owed on the lease contract.

If the landlord were to re-rent the space than this would allow you to stop paying rent. You should tell the landlord that you are no longer living there and that she need to re-rent to someone else. If she does that then she can not charge you any longer.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If you have any other questions please let me know otherwise just accept my answer and enter a rating. 5 stars would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew, Attorney