Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I signed a lease for 3 years to rent a shop to run my

Hi I signed a lease for...
Hi
I signed a lease for 3 years to rent a shop to run my business, the landlord just informed me that he is going to sell the shop. I still have 24 months on the lease.
What is the status of my lease for 3 years with the new landlord? can it be easily canceled? isn't there any obligation to keep my lease until expired? any clarification, please
8/17/2017
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

What is the status of my lease for 3 years with the new landlord? can it be easily canceled? isn't there any obligation to keep my lease until expired?

.

The new owner takes the property subject to your existing lease. So it can't be cancelled unless your lease specifically has a cancellation clause in it that gives the landlord the power to do so.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

Thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Thank you, ***** ***** much better now. I was afraid to lose my efforts and money i put since I have started the business.

Nope, you are safe. The only way to get you out is if you agree to a buy out..

thank you again
barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney