Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

My husband and I are having a problem with our previous

landlord. They want to charge...
My husband and I are having a problem with our previous landlord. They want to charge us to replace all the carpets in their dwelling. We had dogs, paid a pet deposit, and cleaned the carpets while living in their dwelling, as well as when we moved out. We even took pictures. During our walk through nothing was discussed about the carpets. Then they send us a text that the carpets have to be replaced because of dog stains on the padding of the carpet. They cut the carpet up and found stains that you would normally not see. We lived in their dwelling for 7 years and they are now selling it. They mentioned to us that they were going to replace the carpet before we even moved out, sight unseen. They want us to pay them $9,500.00 for the carpet. We find this very unreasonable. Do we have an recourse?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No, I think they tried to put in the lease that if they felt we weren't maintaining the property, they could hire someone to maintain at our cost.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, we still haven't received an itemized deduction list of our deposit. We vacated the premised on 4 Jul 2017.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/15/2017
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Landlord cannot shift this cost to a tenant. No basis for it unless you damaged them to the point they need to be replaced and even then need to get credit for fact they were not new. If landlord wrongly deducts, consider small claims court, avoiding the legal fees.

Let me know if that is fast and clear.

Good to know. Now, when we moved in 7 years ago the owners had just acquired a this foreclosure, so I believe the carpets were new. We are military retired family who have lived in many different properties and believe in respecting each home as though it were our own, so there was no serious damage dine to any of their property.
Does that make a difference?

I see no basis to their claim, especially given your facts

It makes no difference to the reply. Landlord is just wrongly trying to make you pay for an upgrade

Courts wont appreciate it. Kindly rate me 5 stars

Infolawyer, Attorney
Thank you for your help.

Very welcome. Thank you

Infolawyer, Attorney