How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a contract for a rental unit, the last renters I had

This answer was rated:

I have a contract for a rental unit, the last renters I had destroyed the place, if its a month to month contract, it still is valid right? I can make them pay for the damages
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: its in Utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I just filed small claims

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

A month to month rental agreement is just as valid as a lease agreement for a year is and if the tenants damage your property----regardless of whether they have a month to month agreement, or a lease, you can always sue them for the damage that they cause.

Filing in small claims court is the best avenue so long as the money you are seeking from the tenants is within the limit of the small claims court there in Utah---which is $11,000.

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,


LawTalk and 4 other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you


Don't forget to mark the appropriate boxes in items 3-6, and enter the Judicial District, County and Court Address in the Caption. The clerk will fill in the case number ***** judge it is assigned to. And remember to have your signature notarized.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply asking for me by name, Doug, in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.