How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 19658
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a lodger and was allowing him to smoke marijuana

Customer Question

I have a lodger and was allowing him to smoke marijuana recreationally because he is 21. He has had a few friends come over in the past couole weeks to hang out in my back yard a smoke with him. I found out today that they are all under the age of 18. I told him I won't allow this because they are under 21. He wants to argue with me saying nothing will happen and I'm being paranoid. What can happen to me for allowing these under agers break the law on my property?
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: He must keep the areas of the house he uses clean.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Since I only rent one room, do I have to give him the usual 30 day notice to move out?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

You could be liable for contributing to delinquency of minors. The illegal smoking must stop immediately. Otherwise, you can evict the Tenant for that.

Best wishes,