Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Second opinion] I am renting a house in CA where the owners…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am renting...
Second opinion] I am renting a house in CA where the owners recently went through a divorce. Back on 9-1-16 I signed a new lease to extend my current lease for two more years--setting the end date of the lease as 9-1-2018 (I began leasing the house on September 1, 2014 and have never been late paying rent. I have always paid the monthly rent via autmatic bank account transfer, on the 5th of each month, from my checking account to the husbands checking account. Also, I have not violated the terms of the lease in any manner). In the divorce, the wife was awarded the house and wants to move back in which would terminate my lease prematurely. The court directed the husband to ask the renter (me) to move out in 30 days--on July 5, 2017. He informed me via text on July 5, 2017 that his wife had been awarded the house and wanted me out in 30 days. That was the extent of asking me. I do not want to move out and I detailed my stance in a letter that was mailed certified and return receipt to both the husband and the wife (see attached). In response to my letter the wife sent the other attached letter and a hard copy of the transcripts of the divorce court procedings. ( I have attached the pages that relate to my lease agreement.) I do not want to move out until the end of my lease September 1, 2018, but if presented with an acceptable buyout proposal I might consider vacating the house early. Now that you have a little of the back story, here are my questions:-Based on the attached documents, who should I pay August's rent to the husband or the wife? ( I DO NOT wand to pay the wrong party, or do anything that would be considered breaking the lease or acknowleging/agreeing to the 60 day notice. Who should I pay? -Does the fact that both parties agreed that the husband rented a home to a renter without the wife's knowledge was a violation of the ATROs invalidate the lease that I entered in good faith as a tennant (although she signed the original lease and new I had been leasing/renting the home for two years at the time the new 2 year lease agreement was signed by the husband and myself)?-What potential impact on me does the fact that the court has retained jurisdication over the house have on me as the tennant?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/7/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago
Michael Bradley
You pay whoever is listed as the landlord on your agreement so that you do not violate the terms of the agreement. The terms of the lease dictate the early termination. There should be some language in the lease that talks about if you leave early as your decision and if the landlord changes which it seems to apply here.
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley