Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If a retail rental is "grandfathered" in and been with the…

Customer Question
If a retail rental...

If a retail rental is "grandfathered" in and been with the same tennant for 20 years Is the landlord responsible for upgrading or replacing gas lines that were installed 50 or more years ag0 as long as the Lone Star Gas has recently installed a meter in the location?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Dallas TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No; Tenant is not concerned about the lines. I as an owner had looked at the property recently and was concerned as there was no protection for the gas meter located a foot off the ground in the back parking lot and the lines themselves were not securely affixed to the building.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are considering putting a fence around the back of the building to prevent cars from parking in the lot around the meters.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/7/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 11 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

If this is a nonconforming use situation (grandfathered in use) then it all depends on what the original lease says about who is responsible for systems like gas and water lines. Typically it would be the landlord who would deal with those things, but the lease could have assigned that duty to the tenant.

.

But yes, putting up a sturdy fence to protect the meter would be a very good idea regardless of what the lease says.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much