Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I entered a rental agreement for 12months with a private…

Customer Question
I entered a rental...

I entered a rental agreement for 12months with a private owner, and the rent is due on the 3rd of each month, rent is late after the 6th, and a $50 later fee every 2wks after. There was an issue with the water where they sent a $213. electric bill to the owner. I paid $400 by the 10th, paid the entire electric bill of $213 by the 28th, and the remainder $400+$100 late fees=$500 in total by the 3rd of the following month. Now the August rent is due as of the 3rd..today is the 5th and I got a nasty telephone call telling me the I need to have the rent($800) in the entirety by the 3rd. Because in their eyes I can not afford it with my budget. I have my own business, but I get paid when the contract is done. Made this clear to them and I was approved for the house, now my budget is a problem because they want me to sent the rent off on the last day of the month to Philadelpia,PA so it will be there by the 3rd; not considering mail delivery time... OR I have 30 days to move out because they need someone to pay all on the 3rd. They have a sister that I signed my leases with and got the keys from that lives a block down my same street and now a change in where I am to drop off the rent causing the payment to get to them later and they not acknowledging this. By law I have rights, like grace periods, court papers, and such. no court papers have been filed and I just signed the lease on June 3,2017...where I was charged a $600 security deposit/ $800 first month rent/and $800 last month rent =$2200 to move in. What they are doing to me violating any of my rights as a tenant? What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

Written fixed term

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/6/2017
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
You have not violated your lease and landlord is seeking to enforce terms not in the lease?
hello
I didn't get a response
what can I do? She is telling me that I have 30 days to move and she no longer wants to rent to me.
Do you have a lease or are you month to month?
If you have a lease, you have a right to stay for the term. On a month to month can end tenancy on 30 day notice and then would need to file in court.
I have a written 12 month lease. should I keep paying my rent until my 12 months is up or should I not pay rent and persue court actions of my own since they are trying to violate the terms of the contract
Good. I would advise landlord it is breaching the lease and you will hold rent and escrow it until the issue stops and they stop violating it.
Good luck.
Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Is my reply clear?