Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I pay my rent on the day I receive the notice always. My May…

Customer Question
I pay my rent...

I pay my rent on the day I receive the notice always. My May rent was not stamped by the P.O. until almost a month after I had mailed it. I got double-billed the next month and paid the same day and stopped payment on the original May check because I did not know what happened to it. Then even though I had paid July the same day, I got billed for July and August and mailed that at the P.O. (I had previously put the rent in the mail-box downstairs). On August 1st an eviction notice was posted on my door. I called the billing office but my call was declined. I now find that I am paid through September with the checks I sent. I am steaming about the eviction notice as I had done nothing wrong and had paid as soon as I had got the rent notice each month. What are my rights in this case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

It is a written agreement with a signed yearly lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I sent a letter, return receipt requested, to the President of the Management Co. outlining the event as it happened. I am in a Section 8 Senior residence.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. That is the whole story.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/5/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 11 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Are you saying that your checks have been cashed so as to have you completely paid up through Sept?

.

When did you get the notice of eviction?

.

Was this just a notice to pay or vacate, or was it an actual summons to go to court?

.

.

thanks

My checks have been cashed and I am paid up through Sept.
August 1st.
It was a notice to pay within 3 days.
I would rather to received an answer here.
Answer or I cancel.

If you could please be patient for a minute or two while I type an answer, that would be great..

Ok, then you don't have anything to worry about because this is clearly a clerical error that came about due to the lost check and they never got it straightened out. They have no legal grounds to take any action against you and you just need to contact them, preferably in writing, and show them that your checks have been cashed and you are actually ahead..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much