Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I had a early termination of my last lease, due to my wife…

Customer Question
I had a early...

I had a early termination of my last lease, due to my wife being transferred for work. The agreement was that I would do the lesser of the following two. 1. Paying remaining lease off or 2. Forfeit security and pay one additional months rent. We did option 2, my question is does my security forfeit go to unpaid rent or is it used as rent for additional months? Also if on bill sent to us for damages, the landlord did not put our apartment number on bill does that make it null and void?

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

Written agreement, was a transfer lease agreement amendment that is standard for Walmart. 1 year lease. Security was two full months payments

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I just received a damages bill in the mail today

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The forfeit of your security deposit is a penalty to compensate the landlord for the loss from you breaching the lease. and for any other damages. If the deposit was forfeited for breach of lease and there was damage in addition to the breach, the landlord can pursue such damages additionally and can even sue in small claims court for them.
Failure to put your apartment number on the lease does not make it null and void. If you signed the document, then the court will bind you to the terms of the document and a "scrivener's error" such as leaving off an apartment number or misspelling a name etc, does not cause that least to be void.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney