Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Second opinion] My son was arrested o the property we are…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My son...

Second opinion] My son was arrested o the property we are renting and we were given a 3 day notice. My wife and I were told we had to move is this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California anaheim

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

They refused to take our rent payment and the property manager said he was going to legal we have not received anything yet. I paid a paralegal company to file paperwork for me that is suppose to delay an eviction.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/5/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that if one occupant of a leased residence violates the lease, all of the occupants may be evicted. You do not say what he was arrested for, but under CA law, the landlord can evict a tenant using a 3 day notice for any of the following;
Failed to pay the rent.
Violated any provision of the lease or rental agreement.
Materially damaged the rental property ("committed waste").
Used the rental property for an unlawful purpose.
Substantially interfered with other tenants ("committed a nuisance").
Committed domestic violence or sexual assault against, or stalked another tenant or subtenant on the premises.
Engaged in drug dealing, unlawfully used, cultivated, imported, or manufactured illegal drugs.
Using the building or property to conduct dogfighting or cockfighting.
Unlawful conduct involving weapons or ammunition
So I am afraid that if he was arrested at the property for a criminal offense, this is a violation the landlord can choose to evict over.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.