Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

A former room mate is holding my mail. I asked her to take

Customer Question

A former room mate is holding my mail. I asked her to take it to the Post Office and let them know that I no longer live at that address. so far she has not done so. She is wanting me to give her cash in place of the check I wrote for my part of the rent for the month July. She asked me to write her a check for $200.00 to cover the half of the month that was there and the damage to the walls which she caused but expects me to pay for because I had used command strips to hang some things in my room. I came home one day to to find that she had pulled the strips off the wall which peeled the paint. I told her that I shouldn't have to pay for damage to the walls because she was the one who caused it happen instead of waiting for me to remove them the correct way. I wrote her the check but then she got nasty last weekend and set all my stuff that i had packed up to move in the hall and insisted that get everything out that Saturday after telling me on Friday that I would have to wait until Sunday to finish packing because she had company. I had texted her Friday evening telling her that had some things that i would need to come back for the next day and I offered to clean when i was done. So due to her behavior I stopped payment on the check.
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: It was strictly Oral agreement and I had been there for two years. I was in Richmond for 3 weeks training for a job in June, when I got back she informed that she was moving forward with getting a foster child and I would need to get my stuff out. She assumed that I was moving because I was away for 3 weeks. She new that I had accepted a position working in Culpeper and was not planning on moving. So in July I informed my supervisor that I would need to transfer due to the situation. She asked me on Thursday evening if I was going to be there for the weekend. I told her that if I was able to get everything moved out that I would not be. I was not able to get everything packed up on Friday due to working Friday night.I texted her to inform her that I was not finished and would need to come back the next day. She responded that I would have to wait until Sunday because her and her friend decided to stay in town instead of going to NC because I was supposed to have everything out on Friday. I told her that was ok. I ended up renting a hotel room to try to get some rest after being up 24 plus hours. While I was resting she sent me a text accusing me of taking some peaches that her neighbor had left hanging on the door in a bag. Before I could respond to let her know that I had put the peaches in the refrigerator with the others that she had. She sent me another text stating that I needed to get the rest my things out that day, she had had enough and did not want to drag it out any longer. I responded that was ok. Before I could get there she sent me another text stating that she had moved all of my things into the hall of the building "To give me a head start and to keep me from going in and out slamming doors".
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I called the Culpeper Post Office to ask if anyone had returned any mail for me. The lady I spoke with stated that she did not see any mail that had been left for me. She checked the change of address that completed online and assured me that it was good. She even offered to go pick up the mail from my former room mate for me. I have not filed an official complaint yet. I have checked with the post office the past two days to see if she had brought in my mail, as of today she has not.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I sent her a text after I stopped paymet on the check that I had wrote, stating that I had put a temporary hold on the account. She replied a couple of days later with a text stating That I had quite a bit of mail there and that I could bring her cash when I pick it up. I informed her that I no longer work in Culpeper and informed her that I had did a forwarding address. I asked her to take my mail to the post office and let them know that I no longer live at that address. I also informed her that I had spoke with a postal employee and she had assured me that my change of address that I completed online was good.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 2 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?