Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Can one put rent money in a special account till leaky roof…

Customer Question
Can one put rent...

Can one put rent money in a special account till leaky roof is fixed along with the ceiling inside cleaned and free of mold

Lawyer's Assistant: The Landlord-Tenant Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

Can on put rent money in a special account till the leaky roof is fixed along with the molded ceiling

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

Month to month lease last lease expired s2 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Landlord-tenant law varies by city and state. Where is the property located?

Punta gorda fla

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is cause me more problems with my breathing I am on a cpap machine

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

You have the right to withhold rent but before you do so you must give the landlord at least 7 days written notice of the problem that needs repair and you must state if not repaired you will withhold rent. Here is the link to 83.60 http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/Sections/0083.60.html

If the premises are rendered totally uninhabitable, then you can use 83.201 to withhold rent. Here is the link to that section. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/Sections/0083.201.html

Since what you describe does not appear to make the premises wholly uninhabitable, I suggest you use the first procedure under 83.60. Hopefully the landlord will respond to resolve the problem.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney